Cannabis From The Cloud Cover
How much do you know about cannabis? Here are 18 of our favorite cannabis fun facts, compliments of Factslides.com.
1. Bill Gates and other investors have secured a “doomsday seed vault” to preserve a wide variety of plant seeds in the remote Arctic Svalbard archipelago. Cool!
Wonder if there are cannabis seeds in the vault? We’ll get back to you on that one.
2. Beer & cannabis are COUSINS! Beers hops are in the same family of flowering plants as cannabis. We are family.
3. Legalizing cannabis would generate $8.7 billion in federal and state tax revenue per year. What are we waiting for? Federal cannabis taxes could add much needed revenue to education, environment, human services and healthcare coffers.
4. Cannabis has been legal for personal use in Alaska since 1975, and it’s still legal today. Go moose!
5. A cannabis-derived compound forces cancer cells to freeze and prevents them from spreading. We need to learn more about this. Deschedule cannabis already!
6. George Washington grew cannabis at Mount Vernon. Okay, so he called it hemp.
7. Cannabis is legal and is not even classified as a drug in North Korea. Hmmm…one point for North Korea?
8. California was the first U.S. state to ban cannabis a century ago. Kind of ironic, don’t you think?
9. In 1976, an art student changed the Hollywood sign to read “Hollyweed” after the passage of a state law decriminalizing cannabis. That’s more like it.
10. Uruguay became, in 2013, the first country in the world to make it legal to grow, sell and consume cannabis. Go Uruguay!
11. In 1949, the U.S. Military created a synthetic version of cannabis called “Dimethylheptylpyran.” Just 1 mg can have effects lasting 3 days. ‘Nuf said.
12. The first arrest for cannabis possession and selling in the U.S. occurred in Denver, Colorado on October 2, 1937. No big surprise there.
13. In Colorado, recreational cannabis dispensaries outnumber Starbucks locations 3 to 1. Hah, still no big surprise.
14. The U.S. government’s “official expert” on cannabis from 1938 to 1962 once testified in court, under oath, that he had smoked cannabis and it turned him into a bat. Just think about that for a moment.
15. Rastafarians are legally allowed to possess cannabis in Italy due to it being a sacrament to the religion. Jah Bless!
16. 789 grams of 2,700-year- old cannabis were found in a Chinese tomb in 2008. Big party in the afterlife?
17. The first thing ever bought and sold across the Internet was a bag of cannabis around 1971. Rumor has it Stanford students bought it from MIT students. (Based on geography, we would have imagined it’d be the other way around!)
And our very favorite Factslides fact about cannabis…
18. Bob Marley was buried with his red Gibson guitar, a Bible open to Psalms 23 and a cannabis bud. For those of you who need a scripture primer (We confess we had to double check) the 23 rd Psalm begins, “The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures” We hope Mr. Marley is indeed kicked back in a fragrant green field of his favorite herb.
At least a few of these facts deserve more coverage. For instance, the doomsday vault…we can’t wait to learn more about that. Check back to see what we find out!
Pet-loving, Highly Skilled Vets
Edit this text to make it your own. To edit, simply click directly on the text and start typing. You can move the text by dragging and dropping the Text Element anywhere on the page.